Sunday 13 January 2013

Works of Ice

So this weekend I decided to brave the cold weather and head to Canary Wharf for the annual London Ice Sculpting Festival.

Sculptors from all over the world descended upon the Isle of Dogs to compete against one another; show off their skills and win one of the many coveted titles up for grabs throughout the weekend.

Each year there is an interesting theme to drive the creativity of the sculpting geniuses and this year was no exception as they were challenged with the themes of ‘The Wonders of the Universe’ and ‘Infinity.’

I have an irrational fear of ice, one too many bum meets pavement incidents for my liking. However; this didn't stop me from venturing across, on floats, to Wood Wharf to see the impressive ice sculptors created by the Latvians, Dutch and the Americans, just to name a few.

There’s something quite sad, but spectacular about ice works. They are not permanent and their memory will only live on through a camera lens. However; their beauty is unlike anything I have ever seen and even if it is only temporary it still holds some magic and reminds me of Edwards Scissorhands.


There was the opportunity for you try your hand at sculpting, but I decided to leave it to the experts. Okay so that’s a lie it was because my hands were absolutely frozen!

Enough of my jabbering on, just take a look at these beauties!




No comments:

Post a Comment