Thursday 7 March 2013

A Little Night Music



So last weekend I ventured to Pimlico for an evening of beautiful classical music at St John Smith's Square.


I rarely set foot in Pimlico, except for trips to Tate Britain, but this performance was not to be missed. Not only was my talented friend Leah performing, but we were being treated to an evening of entertainment with international star Thomas Gould.


Now the name Thomas Gould might not jump out at you, unless you are a classical music addict, but you might remember a certain You Tube video and a world renowned violinist busking on the underground? Well that genius busker was super talented violinist Thomas.


Before I get too carried away with my praise and awe of Thomas we must not forget the talented Royal Orchestral Society who opened and accompanied Thomas during the concert. They opened with a powerful performance of Wagner's Flying Dutchman Overture before Thomas walked on to the stage to lead Britten's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.


It was unfortunate that the hallowed venue wasn't packed to the rafters. Most of London missed out on a treat, but then again I can count myself lucky to have been part of an amazing evening of music. Maybe it's time to dust down my flute and start practicing again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment