Sunday 8 September 2013

Fabulous Flora & Fauna

So this weekend I went to one of my favourite haunts in London - Columbia Road Flower Market.

Why am I obsessed with this place? Well there are loads of beautiful flowers, some of which you won't find 
in your local supermarket, plus it is full of colourful characters who create an electric atmosphere.

Come rain or shine the stalls will be out and I'm forever suggesting the market as the place for people to 
visit if they are struggling to think of something to do  on a Sunday. I should probably speak with the local 
council about receiving commission for the number of people I've driven to the market.

It's not just about the flowers and the bargains available. Columbia Road is home to some vintage and 
designer shops that you can pop into when you feel overwhelmed by the crowds. My favourite shop is 
Vintage Heaven, a shop teeming from floor to ceiling with vintage crockery and cutlery. One of my top 
purchases from this Aladdin's cave was a beautiful little vase that currently sits pretty on my desk at home.

A visit to the market will make you think twice about buying from a supermarket. 

Here are a few of my top tips that I've picked up from my visits to Columbia Road:

  • To avoid the crowds either get there early morning (before 9am) or after the lunchtime rush
  • The best bargains can usually be picked up after 2pm
  • Don't buy flowers from the first stall you see. Make sure you check out what's on offer on all the stalls
  • Yes it can get crowded and often you'll need to fight your way through the flocks of locals and tourists, but at the end of the day it's worth it
  • Make sure you visit the cash point before you trek down Columbia Road. Nothing worse than trying to buy without sterling to back the purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment