Sunday 21 September 2014

A Splash of Colour




So this weekend (quite a few weekends ago to be precise) I stood amongst a cloud of colour and broke my Holi Fest cherry.

Staged at the Queen Elizabeth Park in Stratford around 20,000 people, over the weekend, descended upon the Olympian borough of London to take part in the Indian tradition.

The festival, is an ancient Hindu religious event which to this day is mainly observed in India and Nepal. Also known as the Festival of Love it brings people together in a celebration of love and colour. In recent years it's popularity has spread outside of Asia with colour festivals in North America and across Europe. It's become an annual tradition in the UK to bring people together to dance away the day to epic tunes whilst throwing coloured powder at one another!!! 

So there I am, dancing like a loon to a set by Zane Low whilst my friends are throwing purple, pink, green and yellow paint at me. It's not something that happens every Saturday, but then again I'm not a normal person so it's not entirely unexpected for me.

You can throw paint whenever you want, but every hour they encourage the crowd to throw their paint in unison to create a spectacular multicoloured cloud that coats everyone. With a brilliant DJ track in the background and the Olympic Stadium as the backdrop it was quite an experience.

Sadly the festival only lasts for a weekend, but I'm already itching for next years event. 

For more information about the festival visit, http://holifestival.com/uk/ 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment