Saturday 27 June 2015

Inside Singapore Culture


So this weekend I dashed across the city to explore the cultural offering of Singapore at pop up exhibition Singapore: Inside Out (client) at Truman's Brewery.

I've been looking forward to this event all week, not just because I was escaping the office for an evening of culture, but because it would give me the opportunity to learn more about Singapore - the country where I was born. I count myself very lucky that my parents took a leap of faith and moved to Singapore for work, but I do begrudge them slightly for leaving after I was only six months old. There's not much you can take in or learn at that age so I was was hoping that the exhibition would enlighten me further around the cultural offering of the country.
 


Now the event wasn't just about showing the best talent from Singapore. It's part of a global tour celebrating 50 years of independence which will see top contemporary talent from the country visiting Beijing, London, New York and Singapore. Created by Mr Randy Chan the exhibition inspires visitors to see a different side to Singapore. Whilst many may see the country as the 24 hour break in a flight to Australia, most are unaware of its emerging talent and rich culture.

Over 20 artists from various backgrounds, some of whom are based in London, have collaborated with Mr Chan to create exclusive pieces of art and installations in the pop up exhibition. 

With such a diverse offering you are easily distracted and impressed as you walk through the venue. Vertical Submarine's installation kicks off the tour with its simple yet genius fake mirror, but my highlights are two of my favourite things to do; eating and drawing.


I almost spent the whole evening in Janice Wong's 1000 Crosses and who can blame me. You can pull sweets off the wall or reach up and grab one of many chocolate lollipops dangling from the ceiling. Championed as one of Asia's best chefs, she is well-known for creating some unique chocolate combinations. You might turn your nose up at trying pork and chocolate, but it was delicious although I didn't feel brave enough to tuck into the chilli chocolates. More than anything I was impressed that I didn't give in to my chocolate addiction and eat the entire exhibition.


I may be chocolates number one fan, but Speak Cryptic stole the show for me with Karma Kamillion. It's not just because I had the opportunity to express my artistic skills, they are limited but in my eyes I could be a grand master, but because of the context and inspiration behind the installation which fascinated me.The artist, who is colour blind, starts with a blank canvas (a replica of his actual bedroom) which he decorates with black and white illustrations. He then invites his audience to add colour to the picture either by painting or colouring in his designs. My creative decision was to add a green bear. Whether or not the bear will survive till Sunday evening is beyond me. I doubt he'll make it.


So did I feel like I learnt more about Singapore? I definitely have a better grasp of what the country can offer and it's just the inspiration I needed to pique my interest in booking flights to Singapore. It has after all been 27 years since my last visit, about time I rectified that.

It's free to explore, but sadly only here till Sunday so make sure you take time out from your vintage shopping to check it out. For more information visit www.singaporeinsideout.com/London



No comments:

Post a Comment