Sunday 25 November 2012

Hidden Gem in Cannonbury


So this weekend I decided to get my dose of weekly culture and learn more about modern Italian art by taking a trip to the Estorick Collection. 

Now it's not the most well-known gallery and to most it just looks like a residential property in Canonbury Square. However, behind the Georgian facade is Eric Estorick's prestigious collection of paintings and prints from the Italian futurism era. 

My impromptu visit coincided with their latest exhibition which included works of art by Italian artist Bruno Munari. Not only was he one of the leaders of the futurist movement, but he also set up the first advertising company in Italy.

A mixture of intricate sketches, designs using various mediums and obscure art installations, Bruno was acknowledged as the twentieth century Leonardo. I particularly enjoyed his sketches and interpretations of objects and link between technology and art. Despite enjoying Bruno's work I felt confused with some of the other paintings on display especially one called the boxer. I tilted my head, squinted my eyes, stood up close and stood far away, but it looked nothing like a boxer.

I know my sister will be shaking her head as she reads this as she has seen first hand what my feelings are towards modern art. Art is not a piece of plain paper and I don't feel the need to splash out on a Tracy Emin original - I have my own version of unmade bed every day thank you very much. Yet I found myself intrigued by Bruno's work. Am I finally becoming a modernist? I doubt it as nothing will dampen my love for the pre-raphelites! 

I will leave you with this quote from an interview with Bruno in the 1950's. It really puts in to perspective the changing movements of the art world and how sooner or later we will have to move on with the times, but not just yet!

"Art is not dead, it has merely altered course and this is where we must look for it. It no longer responds to the old" - 1952

No comments:

Post a Comment