Wednesday 19 February 2014

Blown Away by Isabella


So this weekend I meandered my way through the crowds at London Fashion Week to take in the vast collection of hats, frocks and tops owned by fashionista and magazine Editor Isabella Blow at Somerset House.

Most people probably associate Somerset House with ice skating at Christmas or outdoor movies in the summer, but it has also played host to some of the most exciting exhibitions I've seen in London. I quite happily queued to get into the Valentino exhibition and I nearly depleted the shop in the Courtauld Gallery of all it's prints from its Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition. So after seeing two thoroughly enjoyable displays I was intrigued to see if Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! would live up to my high expectations expected of the embankment venue.

Before I go on to talk about the exhibition I think a little background on Isabella is required. Now she's not a fashion designer so most people won't be as familiar with her as they would be with Chanel or Givenchy, but in the fashion industry and media Isabella was a big name. Despite being born into high society, Isabella grew up in a house on the edge of the family estate after her grandfather squandered the family fortune, she knew that from a young age she would need to find a profession. So she entered the world of fashion. Starting out as a fashion assistant for the likes of Anna Wintour, she sped through the ranks and became Fashion Director for Tatler and consultant for various brands. However; her most famous accomplishments included establishing the careers for designers Alexander McQueen and Philip Treacy, whilst also discovering models Stella Tennant and Sophie Dahl. Sadly at the age of 48 she committed suicide leaving her collection of clothes as her legacy.

As soon as you walk into the exhibition you can't help, but be overwhelmed by her vast collection. From the dazzling and well cut outfits by Alexander McQueen (he's up there with Chanel as my favourite designers) to the millinery genius of Philip Treacy and Isabella's huge collection of his hats - my jaw dropped. The famous lobster hat was on display, although my favourite was Treacy's ship hat made from feathers - extravagant, but I could make it work, alongside some of his other extraordinary creations. The beautiful hats were matched well with the gorgeous outfits by McQueen and other designers and finished with a pair of Manolo Blahnik heels. What I wouldn't give to be slim enough to wear McQueen's beautiful pink and grey feather dress - best hit the gym!

My only wish would have been to learn more about the infamous woman and not only her wardrobe collection. We caught glimpses of her lifestyle, but there were definitely more opportunities to uncover more about this fascinating woman. Then again you can't cover everything and the exhibition definitely piqued my interest enough to go off and learn more about Isabella.

The only other problem you'll face is realizing how inadequate your own clothes collection is. Maybe I'll use my next pay check to invest in a collection worthy of Isabella.

Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! runs till 2nd March and for more information visit www.somersethouse.org.uk.

For fashion enthusiasts it's a must see! 





No comments:

Post a Comment