Saturday 11 October 2014

Discovering and Uncovering London


So this weekend I found myself running down back streets and navigating my way across the West End solving puzzles.

Sadly I wasn't appearing in a re-enactment of Die Hard 3 (Samuel L Jackson had filming commitments), but a new puzzle game that's growing in popularity called Hidden City. The company, set up by brothers Rob and Nick, has a whole list of city puzzle trails for you to explore in London, York, Manchester and Brighton. You can venture down to the East End of London or wander around the cobbled historical streets of York. The trail I embarked on was called "Hidden Places, Open Spaces" which takes you across the West End.

Now when I tell people about some of the absurd if not border line crazy walks I do around London they sometimes worry about my sanity and quite possibly the state of my feet. But I honestly believe that the best way to learn about and explore our fantastic capital is by foot. I wouldn't have discovered the street called Little Britain or discovered the delights of Exmouth market if I always confined my travelling to the London underground network.

This is why Hidden City is so great, as you really do get to explore the area and uncover secret gems. The way it works is that you are designated a meeting point and once you arrive at said point the game begins. Now it's not like the Crystal Maze, you don't have a presenter or guide following you around telling you where to go. All clues are supplied by the almighty text and all messages you receive are cryptic each providing a clue you have to solve to get to the next destination. Depending on the level of the route, some are easy, some are hard and some will leave you walking around in circles trying to guess the answer. Ultimately, what will help you get from A - Z and success is your knowledge of London and a good sense of direction. Fortunately my brother was on my team and he is a human sat nav so he was clearly a great team leader.

One moment we were wandering around a tea shop trying to find a particular blend (I've made a note to go back at some point for a cuppa), the next we were sprinting through St James' Park and in between that time we'd found ourselves swerving around customers in one of her Majesty's favourite stores. I can't really give away any more as it'll ruin the challenge. Also I don't want to give away too many hints and tips in case you beat my teams time.

There isn't a finish line to cross nor will you receive a bottle of champagne to celebrate with your team mates, but you do get entered on to a leader board so the faster you complete the course the higher up the rankings you'll find yourself.

To get on board this mini adventure, just visit www.inthehiddencity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment