Tuesday 4 November 2014

The Monster Mash Bingo-Style




So this weekend I like many others celebrated Halloween, but instead of dressing up and trick or treating I joined forces with witches, ghosts, ghouls and Stewie from Family Guy for a night of musical bingo.

The evening was a spooky edition of Indeedy Musical Bingo - the complete opposite to your average bingo night out. Set up in 2007 the event sets up camp in different venues across London and the US during the year, but don't expect a 'knock at the door' or 'legs eleven' from the MC. Instead think Gangsters Paradise or Vogue when it comes to ticking your way on the path to a full house.

Now my bingo skills are a little sketchy. I haven't played in a long time, but two memories always spring to mind when I think of this classic game. The first was striking it lucky with a full house during a visit to Ireland to see my 90 year old Great Auntie Nellie. I was only 13, but winning 5 euros was a moment of triumph even if the conversion rate wasn't great. My second memory is a bingo set my dad bought and used on a weekly basis to decide which numbers to go for in the national lottery. Each time he'd switch it on, it would scramble the image on the TV screen - not great when you are watching your favourite TV show and you believe that the Poltergeist film is becoming reality. So basically it's been a while since I've played, but by golly I wanted to win.

Despite standing in what felt like one of the longest queues ever for a G&T, my spirit couldn't be dampened as the anticipation built for the first round - a Halloween music themed round followed by a 90s round two and a hip hop round three. There's something quite spectacular about seeing a room full of spooks and monsters busting moves to 50 Cent In da Club.

Now the prizes to be won were slightly on the unusual side. You don't win money, but instead it's inflatables, sweet treats, retro CDs and much more. I had my eye on a huge inflatable dinosaur which I can assure all would have been used to recreate Jurassic Park in Shoreditch.

Sadly it just wasn't meant to be and I left the evening empty handed. Maybe I should have tried my luck at donut bobbing or fear pong!

Regardless of walking home without a prize, it was a great night out and the effort people went to with their costumes was amazing. Besides any excuse to dress up as a sorceress is always a good excuse. Roll on the Christmas event.

For more information and to find out where the next Indeedy Musical event will be visit, http://musicalbingo.indeedyinc.com/

2 comments:

  1. I went to this event too - was a load of fun! My friend was actually dressed as Stewie from Family Guy aha ;)

    ReplyDelete