Wednesday 12 November 2014

Zombie Lockdown in Hackney Wick



So this weekend I found myself in a quarantined safe house, avoiding zombies, drinking beer and stuffing myself with cheesy chilli nachos at the latest Backyard Cinema movie night.

I feel well versed when it comes to zombies. World War Z is one of my favourite books and I've learnt some vital lessons from Rick and the Walking Dead TV series, so if a zombie apocalypse were to take place I believe I could kick ass and survive. The reality is that I'd probably be the first to be eaten or die in some trivial accident such as tripping over a kerb. Hopefully nothing bad would befall me during Backyard Cinema Apocalypse.


Born from a desire to enhance the cinematic experience and dull movie snacks and food, Backyard Cinema has grown from humble beginnings in a garden to taking over venues in Camden, revitalising the movie experience and offering delicious food for hungry guests. To celebrate the spooky season the film wizards headed to Hackney Wick to take over an old warehouse to showcase a series of zombie fest flicks with the added touch of an interactive theatrical zombie experience. From romantic zombie comedies to full on heart stopping, stomach churning, adrenalin pumping horror there's a wide selection of films to choose from to suit your fear factor limit. As much as I love Zombieland and 28 Days Later it was the first chapter of the cornetto trilogy, Shaun of the Dead, which felt right for this occasion.

On arrival at the quarantine zone we were lined up in two rows and given  orders from military personnel and debriefed on the situation. In a nutshell London wasn't in good shape. It had been taken over by the undead and as one of a small group of survivors, we had been directed to a safe house which also doubled up as a lab.....oh and they also happened to have a few caged zombies too. Health and safety issues all over the shop.

Whilst awaiting the movie, we were fed and watered in one of the safe areas which also featured an incredibly creepy shrine dedicated to victims - Backyard Cinema definitely pulled out all the stops to make the event as realistic as possible. I was also coerced in to buying some roasted bugs which according to experts, I didn't ask for ID, would provide me with the protein needed to outsmart and outrun zombies. Unfortunately, whilst texting this fact to my brother and telling him I'd eaten bugs, predictive text decided to change bugs to butts. As you can imagine he was slightly worried about where I was spending my Friday night.



Right my lips are sealed. I'm not giving anything else away as you really have to experience it for yourself to understand how great and slick the evening was. However; if there was one thing I learnt from the evening, it's who you can rely on in a zombie invasion. Clearly not my twin sister who sprinted away and abandoned me in my hour of need when a crazy female zombie launched herself at me. Maybe blood isn't thicker than water after all.

I don't think I've screamed so much in my life - looks like all that time invested in zombie themed books, films and TV shows hasn't helped at all.

If you haven't had your fill of frights for 2014, then you've got a few more days of zombie fun left. Visit www.backyardcinema.co.uk to book tickets.

In case a zombie apocalypse does occur in the near future, then below are some of my favourite tips courtesy of Columbus from Zombieland to help you survive.

1. Cardio 
2. Double tap 
3. Get a kick ass partner 
4. Beware of bathrooms
5. Double knot your shoelaces

No comments:

Post a Comment