Saturday 29 September 2012

A Ball Of A Day

So this weekend I indulged my passion for fashion and headed to the V&A to see their ballgowns exhibition - a celebration of British designers from the fifties to the present day.

I'm ashamed to say that the last exhibition I went to at the V&A was the Grace Kelly exhibit two years ago! Despite this I do regularly attend the evening lectures, words can't describe the excitement about seeing photographer Rankin on Tuesday, but as soon as I heard about the ballgowns exhibition I knew I had to go. 

My usual fashionably late line was tested to its limits, five months late to be precise, but I eventually made it. 

With excitement and sticky hands, owing to an unexpected coca cola incident outside, I entered the glamorous world of dresses that I can only dream of wearing let alone owning.  

From exquisite royal beaded dresses to voluptuous velvet, you couldn't fail to be impressed by the outfits on display. I drooled over Alexander McQueen's feather dress, worshipped anything and everything Stella McCartney, but was left less than impressed by a foil dress. It reminded me of one too many failed fancy dress outfits! 

It was clear to see the changing landscape of British evening wear over the last 60 years and how society influenced design. I'm not sure I'd want the full collection, but there were some other outfits that I spotted on the fashion floor that I wouldn't say no to keeping!

Fact of the day: In the 18th century dressmakers made fashion dolls to spread the word about the latest fashion styles!




Can I get all these dresses to go?

Perfect for a dip in the sea

My new work outfit


Clubbing just got glamorous

Wrap up warm this Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment