Sunday 3 November 2013

Back to Barking

So this weekend I hit the West End for a matinee performance of Barking in Essex.

Having spent a few months of my childhood living in Barking, several generations were born and bred there, I felt a natural draw to see this play. This was one of those times that I was pleased I listened to my gut instinct.

One of many new plays to hit the West End this year, the black comedy centers around a criminal family, the Packers, who are deciding on what to do once they know that youngest brother Algie Packer is due for release from prison. So, why are they so worried about a family reunion? Well Algie's mother Emmie and sister in law Chrissie have managed to spend the £3 million that Algie saved from the robbery that saw him take up a stint behind bars. So their sense of trepidation is completely understandable - wouldn't you feel the same if you'd someone's money on clothes and holidays?



I'll admit it's not a play for those who have an aversion to swearing. I lost count on the number of times a certain C word cropped up - even I felt at times it was a little over used. Aside from that minor negative, it was hysterical from start to finish and there were even parts that made you squirm in your set.

You can't help but, be mesmerized by Lee Evans who plays Algie's older brother and husband to Chrissie - his Spanish dance routine still has me in stitches. The way he manipulates and uses his body is still a mystery to me. Lee Evans will always amaze audiences however; the most surprising and best performances came from Shelia Hancock and Keeley Hawes. We are all used to their posh and well spoken characters on TV so their ability to pull off an Essex twang and mannerisms was brilliant. Just hearing Shelia Hancock swear made my Saturday.

Barking in Essex is on at the Wyndham Theatre till 4th January. If you want a good night packed with laughter then make sure you get a ticket. Visit www.barkinginessex.co.uk for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment