Monday 4 November 2013

On Guard


So this weekend I completed my four week Fencing course. Yes that's right fencing as in the Olympic sport not learning how to put up garden fencing.

I seem to have caught a bug to try out the most obscure sports available to us mere Londoners. First it was archery and now it was the turn of fencing. Could this be my golden ticket to Rio? What will be next bowls?

Our sessions took place at Fighting Fit Fencing, a club who are based in a building just off Caledonian Road. Now I've walked down Cally Road a fair few times over the last year, mainly due to Arsenal games closing my station, and not once have I spotted this center and I am a very observant person. Or maybe it's nosy  it's hard to distinguish.

So back to the classes. I was surprised at how soon they get you kitted up and fighting. On the first session I walked through the door and before I knew it I had a foil in one hand, a mask on and I was saluting my competitor to prepare for my first bout! 

Don't worry though they don't throw you in at the deep end and expect you to know everything. Although I did suspect that quite a few people had swatted up via You Tube ahead of the session. So the first thing you need to learn is footwork. Form an L shape with your feet hips length apart and then bend your knees. One hand should be bent at the hip, but stretched in front whilst the other hand should be bent upwards to the side of your body with the hand limp at the wrist. This is basically your on guard position and the stance you adapt before a bout. 

The footwork is simple in theory, but in practice it's a different story. All forward movement is led by the foot at the top of the L and all backward movement is lead by the back foot. Still with me? Let's just say that when someone is coming at you with a foil you tend to forget all your footwork. 

Over the four week period you gradually get used to the footwork and terminology that gets thrown at you. The climax of the session is a fun tournament. It may have been described as fun, but I couldn't stop the competitive beast from within. Luckily our team stormed to victory.

Despite the bruises it was well worth it. If you'd like to try your hand at fencing visit www.fightingfitfencing.com and sign up for a taster session.


Below are just a few key fencing terms you should know: 


1. Bout - a fight between two fencers

2. Piste - the field of play where a match will take place

3. Parry - a defensive action to deflect an attacks

4. Foil - a type of weapon used in fencing

5. On Guard - the starting position before a bout


No comments:

Post a Comment